Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member TonyNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2008
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What an amazing difference, incredible !! I've only been a Altec user for 2 weeks and from the beginning I knew something was wrong with these drivers. Remove the Mantaray horn completely off, even the small molding stuck to the main pole piece and hear the difference. The reproduction will be MUCH more natural and satisfying. Do it !!! forums

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, there is nothing wrong with those drivers. You don't have the correct crossovers, you told me that in an email.

    But....if what you did works, then go for it. I suggest listening for more than a few hours, and see what you think.

    When set up right, the manta CD horn is quite good. Not perfect mind you, because it does hide a fair amount of the woof cone, but still quite good.

    So, you know there are some Altec ceiling duplexes that have a very short conical horn....look for a 617 driver. Probably pretty close to what you have created.

    You had to cut the horn out....correct? There is a spider attached to it.....

    Ron

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by TonyNZ:
    I've only been a Altec user for 2 weeks Do it !!! forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, just plain SLOW DOWN.

    Have to be honest- I find the double post a little offensive. I don't think that was your intent- just that you found something and wanted to share.

    I've seen and heard virtually every claim on the planet- so far nothing you have posted impresses me enough to copy anything you've done.

    Having been an Altec user for two weeks- you should understand there is a lot you haven't heard yet.

    Anyway- if you like it, that's what counts. But understand- things that blew me away when I was young don't impress at all now- I look back and say to myself- "I really liked that?".

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    TonyNZ - we don't permit double-posting here. Sometimes it happens accidentally, but not often.

    Please help make our group great by sticking to this, one of the few rules we have here, which includes civil language and deportment.

    Thanks,

    Todd W. White, Owner & Moderator
    Altec User's Board

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TonyNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2008
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To Todd W. White.

    In reply: TonyNZ - we don't permit double-posting here. Sometimes it happens accidentally, but not often.

    Please help make our group great by sticking to this, one of the few rules we have here, which includes civil language and deportment.

    Thanks,

    Todd, I'm new to your Site and not 100% sure I made a "double Posting" I thought I was making a comment, that's all. As for deportment and civil language, perhaps you should be directing your instructions to a couple of other members, not to me. As far as I know, I've been civil, have asked questions and made worthwhile comments for others to consider. Work through ALL the posting and you will see how some of your members welcome others to the site. Pretty poorly if you ask me but that's Human nature, I guess. My comments are directed STRICTLY to how the speaker sounds and not to how Altec made it. many thanks, Tony

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    See my post on the thread.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by TonyNZ:
    [
    Todd, I'm new to your Site and not 100% sure I made a "double Posting" /QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tony . look, we got started off on the wrong foot. So let's slow down...

    But you made two posts about removing the horn- starting two different threads- how can you possibly even say that you aren't sure you made a double posting?

    Essentially- that amounts to spamming the group...the concept of 'spam" comes from the old Monty Python skit- "Spam,Spam,Spam..."

    Essentially the spam grows till it dominates everything. Making two posts to a forum on the same subject is trying to attract attention by exaggerating the importance of the post...

    Exactly what commercial spammers do- posting over and over again..

    Anyway- we are a pretty forgiving lot, I don't think anybody here holds a grudge toward you.

    You don't have to agree with anyone here- but the reverse is also true- nobody here has to agree with you. I have ongoing differences with other members- but we are here to share and learn, not boast about how much we know...often you'll find those here that boast the least are the most knowledgeable.

    This is a place to share verifiable information...chances of stumbling on a new concept in two weeks are pretty low...there are threads about people using Altec rivers sans horns...

    As far as the quality of the horn- I've seen many better than what you describe- Altec's QC went to **** in a hand basket during the early '80's bankruptcy...

    Filling pinholes in the plastic doesn't seem like a daunting task. Or I believe new horns can be bought thru GPA.

    Whatever direction you want to go, help is available..

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    A note on the asterisks- the Board has an overactive censor program- for instance it will censor s-c-r-a-p-p-e-d without the dashes put in... so seeing asterisks is not reason to be offended...

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Should I cut a big hunk off the end of my trombone NOW???

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only threads I can remember here about listening to compression drivers without the horn/lens, was about turning the driver around and using the back side of the diaphragm as a 1 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter. Not something I would do, as there are better purpose built tweeters out there.

    This thread illustrates the old saying:

    You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

    Richard C.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.